I can now show you the little sewing project I made last week. It was a present for my Aunt and as she received it yesterday I can now show you :D
It's a scrunchie!
This is how I made it:
I cut a strip of fabric about 3 inches wide and about 12 inches long. I folded it in half and sewed down the side. Then I pulled the inside out so the sewing was all on the inside. This was quite fiddly but I got there eventually.
Then I took some elastic - about 6 inches long and 8mm wide and threaded it through the fabric tube. Also pretty fiddly! After this, I overlapped the two ends of the elastic and sewed back and forward across it a few times to make sure it was completely secure.
The next bit didn't work perfectly but worked kind of ok, if a little messy. I folded in the ends of the tubes so there were no rough edges and then sewed the ends together, just by sewing through both ends and pulling them tight so the ends attached and I ended up with a complete scrunchie with no elastic showing. You can just see the join in the top right of the photo above. It's pretty neat, but not neat enough as you can still see quite a few stitches!
I reckon there's a tutorial online somewhere showing how to join the ends perfectly, but I didn't even think to look, I just started making and sewing!
Anyways, I am very pleased with it for a first attempt, and my Aunt really likes it too so that's what matters!
And to finish, huge **HAPPY BIRTHDAY** to my cousin who is 16 today! Very proud of you in everything you do :) xxx